Byomkesh Bakshi - The Thorn In The Way (pather kanta) Final Episode | Best Thriller 2020

Best-thriller-novels


This is the final episode of the previous story. Let's see how byomkesh solved the Mystery. Enjoy the climax.


The Thorn In The Way (EP1)

The Thorn In The Way (EP 2)



The Thorn In The Way(Final Episode)


Byomkesh did not reply to his words and said:
“Did you know that someone was following you when you were returning  from Esplanade yesterday?"
I was shocked and said: "No! I Didn't know." Byomkesh said, "There is no doubt about it. I just thinking, what an infinite dare in him."
 He smiled softly in his mind. I did not understand what was so great about following me; But Byomkesh's words sometimes turn out to be such a difficult riddle that trying to make sense of his is just futile. But it is useless to ask him about this, he will not say anything unless the time comes. So I got up for a bath without saying a word. Byomkesh spent the afternoon and evening without doing anything. I asked a couple of questions about Prafulla Roy, but he did not listen, staring at the chair; At the end he got up in shock and said- “Prafulla Roy? Oh, who came this morning?  No, I haven't thought about him yet.”
After dinner at night, while we sitting quietly and smoking;  By ten o'clock, Byomkesh jumped up from his chair at ten-thirty and said,  I was surprised and said: "What is happening again?"  Byomkesh said:
"Wow, you have to protect the invitation of 'Pather Kanta', don't you remember?"
I stood up in fear and said: "I'm sorry. I can't go there alone tonight. You have to go, you go."
"I will go there, I want you to go too."
"But what if not? Why so much false curiosity about thorns in the path? It would have been a lot harder to deal with the gramophone pin than that. It simply came to our notice then.  But what is evil if you already satisfy a curiosity?"
 "Gramophone Pin is no longer fleeing.  Apart from that, Prafulla Roy will come tomorrow for advice, I want some news to give him advice."
"But if two people go, it won't happen. In the letter he told only one person to go."
"I made arrangements for that."  Now let's go to the room, time is getting shorter."
 Byomkesh quickly took me to the library and put makeup in my face in his hands. I saw in the long mirror hanging on the wall, I got that mustache and French cut beard back under a influence of magic, nowhere is there such a difference.  Leaving me alone, Byomkesh began his dress;  He did not change his face, took out a black long coat from the drawer and put it on. He wore black rubber-soled shoes. Then he made me stand five or six hands away in front of the mirror and stood behind me. He asked,
"Can you see me in the mirror?"
"Pretty much."
"Now go ahead - now you see?"  "
"No."
"Now all that is left is to wear a dress."  "What again?"
 As soon as I entered the room, I noticed that there were two porcelain plates on Byomkesh's table - the same shape as in the hotel. One of the plates, Byomkesh, pressed it against my chest and tied it tightly with a piece of wide cloth. He said: “Be careful not to fall." As soon as I put the coat on him, I could see something else. I said in amazement: “What is happening?  Byomkesh laughed and said, "have you ever wear a plate? Fear not, I am wearing too."
 Byomkesh put the second plate inside his waistcoat and left, there was no need to tie. After finishing the various decorations in this way, we went out at eleven twenty minutes of the night. With a few things in his pocket from the drawer, Byomkesh said,
“Have you taken the letter? What a disaster, take it, put it in a white envelope soon ”
 I got an empty taxi on the fence of Sealdah and got on it. No one in the way - Rare, shops were almost closed. Our taxi hurried towards Chowrangi as directed. I got out of the taxi at the place where the tram-lines of Kalighat and Khidirpur have diverged. The taxi driver take his fare, blew his horn and left. I looked around and saw that there was no one anywhere on the wide highway, and the innumerable bright lights all around seemed to frighten this lifeless silence.  There are still ten minutes left on the clock. What to do, we adviced in the car.  So there was no need to talk. As I walked forward, Byomkesh disappeared behind me like a shadow. His black clothes and soundless shoes seemed to make him limp even to me. Leaning my feet together, he walked just six inches behind me, yet I felt like I were alone.  The road has a very wide path, but it is not very clear and sharp. If there are palaces on both sides of the road. It is reflected and becomes brighter, it is not happening here. The emptiness on both sides seems to be consuming half of lamp's energy. In this situation, no one could understand that I am not alone, another dark idol is walking silently behind me. Tram on the side tram line has been closed for a long time. The white railing of the racecourse is running continuously. I walked along the middle of the road. It was midnight when the clock ticked back and forth. As soon as the other clocks in the city began to ring, the stillness of the midnight became louder and louder. After the clock ticked, Byomkesh whispered in my ear, “Take the letter this time."
 I forgot that Byomkesh was behind. I took the envelope out of my pocket and took it in my hand. We walked another six or seven minutes.  There is still about half way to reach Khidirpur pool, at that time I was startled to see a small point of light in the distance. The sound came to my ears— “Coming - be ready."
 The small point of light began to get brighter. Within a minute, it was seen that a black object was rapidly advancing on the back road. After a few moments, the image of the bicycle-rider became clear.  I stood up and extended my envelope to the side. The speed of the bicycle in front also slowed down. Closed - I waited with a sigh. I saw the bicycle coming within twenty-five yards, leaning forward in front of the black-clad Araihi, looking at me intently through the goggles. The medium-speed bicycle seemed to notice me and move forward. Just ten yards apart, the bicycle bell rang and I almost fell over with a heavy bang on my chest.  I realized that the plate tied to my chest was broken into hundreds of pieces.  Then in an instant a thing happened.  As soon as I fell down, Byomkesh jumped forward with lightning.  Bicycle - rider was not ready for another person behind me, but he tried to run away, but could not. Byomkesh pushed him and threw him along with his bicycle and jumped on his neck like a tiger. I got up from the ground and came to the aid of Byomkesh. The bicycle is lying on one side.  As soon as I arrived, Byomkesh said— “Ajit, I took a silk rope out of my pocket and tied my hands so tightly - very loudly."
 I pulled the thin silk rope out of Byomkesh's pocket and tied the hands of the fallen person tightly. Byomkesh said - "By, done. Ajit, you do not recognize the gentleman? This is our morning friend Prafulla Roy! If you want a closer acquaintance, this is the master of Gramophone Pin mystery! He opened the goggles of his eyes.  It is useless to describe the state of my mind then, but in that state he used to come and appear in that day.
 However, Prafulla Roy came out with a violent gnashing of teeth and said, “Byomkeshbabu, this time you can sit down on my chest, I will not run away.  Byomkesh said: "Ajit, take a good look in his pockets to see if he has any weapons."
 "Opera glass came out of one pocket and a can of drink came out of the other pocket, nothing else."  I opened the box and saw that 4 bottles was still there.  When Byomkesh came down from his chest, Prafulla Roy sat up, stared at Byomkesh's face for a while and said softly: “Byomkeshbabu, you are more intelligent than me. Because, I despised your intellect, but you did not. There is no need to underestimate the power of the enemy, I got this lesson a little late, there will be no time to use it."
Byomkesh pulled a police wheel out of his chest pocket and blew it, then said to me: "Ajit, pick up the bicycle and put it away. But be careful, don't touch his bell, it's a terrible thing!"
 "Everyone knows, you look great. You were scared. That's why I was getting this trap today. I thought you would come alone, meet in private. But you bet in every way. I was proud to be able to perform well. But you are a High class artist. You took off my disguise and looked at my mind this morning and I only saw your face! Let's go, my throat is very dry. Can I get some water? "Byomkesh said:" There is no water here, go to the police station. "Prafulla Roy laughed and said, "That's it, where can I find water here?" He was silent for a while and looked at the drinking cup and said, "Can't I get a drink? Of course I don't know how to give a drink to the accused, but when I do, I get thirsty."
Prevention Would. Byomkesh gestured to me, I put two drinks from the box in his mouth. After drinking, Prafulla Roy said— “Thank you;  You can eat the other two if you wish.  Byomkesh was listening intently to the arrival of the police, shaking his head absentmindedly. In the distance, I could hear the crackling sound of the meter bike.
Prafulla Roy said: “The police came to here. Don't leave me then?
 Byomkesh said: "How can I leave you?"  Prafulla Roy laughed and asked again: "Will you give it to the police?"
"I'll give it to you!"
"Byomkeshbabu, even intelligent person are wrong. You can't hand me over to the police, ”he said and leaned on the road.  A motorbike came loudly and stopped next to him, a uniformed gentleman jumped on him and said: “what's up?  Dead?  Prafulla Roy opened his dull eyes and said:
 "What a pity I see! Too late sir, if you can't catch me. Byomkeshbabu, who used to play well, could go together.  It's really hard to leave a person like you!" Prafulla Roy's eyes widened after trying in vain to laugh.  His face suddenly hardened.  A lorry police had already arrived. Mr. Commissioner took a handcuff. As soon as he took it, Byomkesh got up from Prafulla Roy's head and said,
“There is no need for handcuffs. The accused fled.  Byomkesh and I sat in a chair facing each other in our usual sitting room.  The wind was blowing in the morning through the window and the wind was blowing in the room.  Byomkesh was seen waving the bell of a bicycle.  An envelope lay on the table.  Byomkesh opened the head of the bell and looked at the equipment inside with admiring eyes and said: “What a strange lacquer head.  Such an instrument can be made, I imagine this has never occurred to anyone.  This is the gunpowder you are looking at, this is the gunpowder of this gun, what a powerful force this spring is!  What a horrible yet easy.  This sixth leak is the tube through which the shots are fired.  And when this neck is pressed, two things happen together, the bell rings and the shots go out.  The sound of the bell suppressed the sound of the pring.  I remember that day we talked about words, what is the smell of words?  That day I got an indication of how intelligent this lake is.  I asked, "Well, what do you do when you realize that the roadblock and the gramophone pin are the same thing?"  "I didn't understand the first one," said Bamkesh.  But gradually, as if unknowingly, the two became one.  See, what is the thorn in the side of the road?  He is very clear that if there is any obstacle in the way of your happiness, he will remove it - in exchange for kanchan.  While there is no explicit mention of remuneration, it is easy to see that it is not his starvation altruism.  Then look at this, all those who died from the wound of the gramophone pin, all of them survived as thorns in the path of someone's happiness.  I do not want to make any reference to the relatives of the dead, because there is no point in saying things that cannot be proved.  But it should not be overlooked that all the deceased were childless, their heirs in some cases nephews, in some cases nephews, in some cases or sons-in-law.  Isn't the attitude of these nephews and nieces and nephews understood from the anecdote of Ashubabu and his mistress?  "However, it can be seen that the road thorn and the gramophone pin are separated on the outside, but they are easily joined together - just like the two parts of a broken stone house are easily joined together.  And one thing caught my attention from the beginning - the similarity of one's name with the work of another.  Meanwhile, advertisements are being published under the name 'Pather Kanta' and on the other hand, people are being killed with a substance like a thorn on the road.  The match is not easy to see, I said - "Maybe, but I did not read.  Byomkesh shook his head anxiously and said, "It's all a matter of simple guessing."  As soon as Ashubabu's case came to hand, it became clear to me.  The real problem was - who is the lake?  This is where Prafulla Roy's strange talent can be found.  Those who paid Prafulla Roy to kill him also did not know who was and how he killed him.  His main armor was his extraordinary ability to conceal himself.  I don't know if I could have caught him anyway, unless he's in my mind
"Let me explain a little. The day you stood by the lamppost to defend the invitation of the thorn in the side of the road, he was suspicious of your attitude.  Whatever, he sent a letter to you, then invisibly followed you. When you came to this house, he had no doubt that you were my messenger. I knew that Ashubabu's case was in my hands, so he firmly believed that l had learned a lot.
It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post. But Prafulla Roy's infinite adventure - he came to understand my mind. That is, I came to know how much I know and what I want to do about the thorns in the path.  There was no danger to him, because it was not possible for me to know that Prafulla Roy was the thorn in the side and the gramophone-pin, and even if I did, I could not prove it.  Just made a wrong cheerful verdict.  He didn't realize that I was waiting for him that morning.  I knew he would come to find out.  "You know!"  But why not arrest him?  "If you say it like that, Ajit."  If he had been arrested then, there would have been no benefit other than compensation in the defamation suit.  Was there any evidence that he was a murderer?  There was only one way to catch him - in the act, with bloody hands!  And that's what I tried. Is the one I went to with a plate on my chest a mess?"   "Prafulla Roy talked to me and realized that I know a lot of things - not just that I got to know him. He made up his mind that my survival was no longer safe. So he somehow invited me - to walk along the side of the racecourse at night.  He knew in that look that I had failed him.  But he was worried about one thing, if I take him with the police! So he raised the issue of police. But in the name of the police, I got so angry that Prafulla Roy was happy and left quickly;  If you write me down in your mind."
“Poor thing, if you make a mistake and destroy everything.  In the end, he also regretted.  He freely admitted that day that he should not have disregarded my intellect."
 After a moment of silence, Byomkesh said, "I remember you, the first time Ashubabu came, I asked him, did you hear any sound when you hit your chest?"  He said he heard the sound of bicycle bells. I didn't care then. My Howrah Bridge didn't look like that. Then when I read the letter of the thorn in the side, everything became clear in an instant. In answer to your question, I said - I got a word in the letter. What is the word of the bicycle! It simply came to our notice then. In fact, it is clear that nothing could be further from the truth. There is no other way to kill so easily and casually.  You are walking down the road, a bicycle fell in front.  Bicycle - rider passed by with a bell to kill you. You too fell to the ground. No one to suspect Bicycle - rider. Can't Because, he's holding the handle in both hands - how do you throw a weapon?  No one even looks back at him. Once the police played heavy intelligence, you may remember.  Kedar Nandi, the last victim of the gramophone pin, died on the fence of Lalbazar.  As soon as he died, the police stopped all traffic and searched every person's clothes.  But got nothing.  I believe Prafulla Roy was also there and he was also searched as usual.  Prafulla Roy must have laughed a lot in his mind then.  Because, it didn't occur to any policeman to open the bell of his Bicycle."
 Byomkesh looked at the bell affectionately.  From the table, the official long tent flew in the air and fell at my feet.  I picked it up and placed it on the table and asked:
“What did the Commissioner of Police write?  Byomkesh said: "A lot of things. They thanked me on behalf of the police and Sarkar Bahadur;  then apologized for Prafulla Roy's committing suicide;  He should have been happy though, because it saved a lot of government money and hard work.  There is no doubt that I will get the promised award from Sarkar Bahadur soon.  Because, the police said that my application will be granted as soon as I apply, he has made his arrangements.  No one could identify the body of Prafulla Roy. The people of Jewel Insurance Company saw the body and said that this is not their Prafulla Roy, their Prafulla Roy is in Jessore on the occasion of the present action.  So it is quite clear that the name Prafulla Roy is a pseudonym.  But it doesn't matter, I will always have a cheerful verdict.  At the conclusion of the letter, the policeman wrote a stern statement - the bell must be returned.  Isn't it the property of the government now?  I laughed and said: "Didn't you fall in love with it?"  Can't leave anything?  Byomkesh also laughed: "Honestly, if Sarkar Bahadur gives me this bell instead of a reward of two thousand rupees, I will not be sorry at all."  Which is a memento Prafulla Roy, but I still have that ten rupees.  I thought I would frame it.  It now costs me more than a hundred rupees.  Byomkesh carefully locked the bell in the drawer.  When he came back, I asked him a question,
 "Well, Byomkesh, tell me the truth, did you know there is poison in the drink?"  Byomkesh said in a little silence, "There is an uncertain place between knowing and not knowing, that is the state of possibility."
After a while he said again: "Do you think it would have been better if Prafulla Roy had been hanged like a little murderer?"  I think so.  Instead, he decided to go that way, showing how great an artist he was, even though he was caught with his hands and feet tied.  I was stunned.  One cannot help but be amazed at how much respect and sympathy one can reach.

 “Letters.  The postman left with a registry letter.  Byomkesh opened the envelope and took out only a piece of colored paper from inside, looked at it once and smiled at me.  I saw a check for one thousand rupees with the signature of Sri Ashutesh Mitra.

The end.

Did you liked the thriller? Comment below and share your thoughts with us.

Read another suspense thriller novel A Mysterious Dagger

No comments

Any doubts or anything missing? Please let us know

Powered by Blogger.