Byomkesh Bakshi - The Thorn In The way (Pather kanta) Episode 4 | Best Thriller 2020

Best-thriller-books-2020


Best Thriller 2020

In the previous episode we saw that byomkesh and ajit were talking about the attacking wepon. Byomkesh also said that he was find out the heir of ashubabu. And he give instructions to ashubabu that if came out from house then he will take only footpath, not the middle-road. Why did byomkesh tell him to do this?  Will Byomkesh be able to solve his problem and this Mystery? Stay tuned on the Thriller.


The Thorn In The Way (EP1)

The Thorn In The Way (EP2)

The Thorn In The Way (EP3)


The Thorn In The Way (EP4)


So I asked: “Did you get anything from the watch?"
 Byomkesh stood in front of me and said softly: "I have got three theories from the watch.  One - the gramophone pin is a normal Edison - mark pin, two - it weighs one gram, three - Ashubabu's watch is completely gone, and will not be repaired."
 I said: “That means it didn't get any useful information."
 Byomkesh pulled up a chair and said, "I can't say that. First I realized that the distance between the killer and the victim would not be more than seven or eight yards when the pin was dropped. A gramophone pin is such a light thing that if thrown from a distance of more than seven or eight yards, it cannot be an infallible target.  But you can see how infallible the tip of the killer is. Each time the pin went to the deep core."
I said in a tone of astonishment and disbelief: "Seven or eight yards away, but no one understood?"
 Byomkesh said: “That has become the main puzzle. Think about it, after the murder, killer was probably in the audience, maybe he picked up the body with his own hands and moved it;  But still no one understood, how could he hide himself in such a way?"
 I thought for a long time and said, "Well, it could be that the killer is carrying a device in his pocket - from which a gramophone pin can be thrown. Then he came in front of his victim and fired the device from his pocket.  Many walk the streets with their hands in their pockets, so no one doubts."
 Byomkesh said: "If that happened, he would be able to work on the sidewalk. Why take to the streets? Other than that, I don't know of any device that can be fired silently, but its bullets can pierce a person's body and reach the heart.  How much energy is needed, have you thought?"
 I remained speechless. Byomkesh sat in silence for a long time with his elbows on his knees and her chin on his palms; At the end he said:
“I understand, there is a very simple solution in front of me, but I can't catch it.  Every time I try to catch, it Getting out of my hands."
 There was no further conversation during the night. Byomkesh remained distracted and restless until before bedtime.  Realizing that the answer to the problem, even though it was close to catch, did not fall into the trap of his reasoning, I did not stop him from concentrating on it, realizing that his mind was running like a hunter behind it. The next morning he got out of bed with a worried face and hurriedly washed his face and drunk a cup of tea. When he returned after three hours, I asked, "Where did you go?"  Byomkesh unbuttoned his shoe and said in a different way:
"Lawyer's house."
I didn't ask him any more questions. I saw him cheerfully in the afternoon. All afternoon he worked in his room with the door closed; Once I heard someone talking on the telephone. At about four-thirty he opened the door and raised his voice and said,
“Oh, did you forget our yesterday's conversation?
That is present when giving direct evidence of ‘thorns in the path’. I really forgot about the 'thorn in the side of the road'.  Byomkesh laughed and said:
“ let me make some decorations for you.  If you go like this, it will not work."
I entered his room and said: "Why not?  Byomkesh opened a wooden cupboard and pulled out a tin box. He picked up crepe, scissors, spirit-gum, etc. from the box and applied the spirit-gum on his face with a brush. Fifteen minutes later, when Byomkesh left after finishing my make-up, I went to the mirror and saw, "What a disaster!"
This is not Ajit Bandyopadhyay, this is a completely different person.  Ajit Bandyopadhyay didn't even have a French-cut beard and mustache. The age has also increased by about ten years.  The color is quite a bit dirty. I was frightened and said: “I have to go out in this dress. If caught by the police?  Byomkesh said with a laugh: "My brother The father of the police can't recognize you. If you can't believe it, look down and talk to a well-known gentleman downstairs. Ask - where does Ajitbabu live?"
 I was even more frightened and said, "No, no, it doesn't need to, I'm just going."  As I was leaving, Byomkesh said, "You know what to do - just be careful when you come back, he can follow you."
"Isn't that a possibility?"
"Not impossible."  I'll stay home, come back as soon as you can."
The first thing that came out of the way was a heavy discomfort. Gradually, when I saw that my disguise was not attracting anyone's attention, I was relieved and had a little courage. I used to take cigarettes regularly in a shop on the roadside. The shopkeeper would greet me whenever he saw me. The shopkeeper picked up the money by the cigarette without any hesitation, he didn't even see well from me. It was five o'clock, so I got on the tram, realizing it wasn't too late. I got off on Esplanade and arrived at the signpost. Although my state of mind was not exactly good, I started to feel a little bit of humor and excitement.
 The joke did not last long. It is not easy to stand still in a place where the crowd is flowing like a stream. I got two or four elbow-kicks from the crowd and I had to accept that. There are other dangers to holding a lamppost like a mad for no reason. A sergeant was standing on the crossroads, he looked at me questioningly two or three times, now maybe he will come and ask, why are you standing? What can I do? I stared at the huge window-covered window of the Whiteway Ledle shop along the sidewalk, which was decorated with a variety of foreign products. I thought, there is no harm in thinking that like a fool from the neighborhood, I do not want to wear handcuffs thinking of knots!
 I looked at the clock, five fifty. Somehow, if I can spend another ten minutes, then I am free from worries. I waited anxiously, my mind lying in my Punjabi pocket. I even looked at the two with my hands in my pockets, but there was nothing new in my hands. Finally, at six o'clock, I let out a sigh of relief and abandoned the lamppost. I checked my pockets well, there was no correspondence. Along with the despair, there was also a happy rejoicing. By the way, an example has been found that Byomkesh's conjecture is not infallible. This time he will have to give a little push. Thinking about all these things, I came to the tram-depot of the Appland.
“Will you want pictures, sir?"
 I heard the voice very close to my ear, I turned around and saw a man in a lungi-wearing handing me an envelope.  Surprisingly, an ugly picture came out from the envelope. I knew the business of such a picture was going on the streets of Calcutta: I went to return it with hatred and saw that the man was gone. I looked around;  But I couldn't see that lungi-wearing man anywhere in the crowd. Surprised and wondering what to do, I was startled by the sound of a small laugh, when an old gentleman from a corner came and stood beside me.  Without looking at me, he said in a very familiar voice in clear Bengali:
“I see that you have received the letter, now go home. But, take a turn! From here go by tram to Baubazar, from there by bus to Howrah station, then take a taxi to home."
 When I returned home after traversing the city, Byomkesh was lying on the couch, smoking a cigar. I pulled up a chair in front of him and said,
“When did you come, sir?
Byomkesh exclaimed, "Twenty minutes."  I said, "Why did you follow me?"  Byomkesh sat up and said:
"The reason I took it was not successful, it was a minute late. While you were holding the lamppost, I was standing in front of the window inside Ledle's shop, just five hands away from you, finding a silk socks. The killer in the side of the road is bound to arouse some suspicion, especially the way you were fidgeting and reaching into your pocket every two minutes. So he did not give the letter then. After you left, I left the shop too. It was two or three minutes late. The man got the job done and left. When I arrive, you are standing like Yee with an envelope in your hand.  - How did you get the envelope? ”
After explaining what I got, Byomkesh asked: "Did you see the man well?  Remember something?"  I thought and said:
"No. It just seems that a huge mole on the side of his nose,"
Byomkesh, shook his head in frustration and said, “That is not real, it is fake. Like Your mustache and beard. Let's see the letter. now, you go to the bathroom and wash your beard and mustache."
  When I returned after taking a bath, I was completely surprised to see Byomkesh's face. With both hands behind his back he hurriedly walked into the room, a reflection of such radiant joy on his face that I was excited at the sight of it. I eagerly asked,
"What did you see in the letter? Didn't get anything?"
 Byomkesh patted my back with exuberant joy and said: “Just one word Ajit, one sixth word. But now I will not tell you anything. Have you ever seen Howrah Bridge in opened from two sides? My state of mind was just like that, the path came from two directions, but a little gap in the middle, playing a pontoon. Today that gap is closed."
"How did you put it together? What's in the letter?"
"You read it," said Byomkesh and handing me the paper.  It reads:
"Who is the thorn in your path? What is his name and address? Write clearly what you want. Do not hide your words anywhere. No need to sign your name. Fill in the envelope and go west on the road next to Khidirpur Racecourse on 10th March. A man will come up in front of you on a bicycle, you can recognize him by the sight of a motor-goggles in his eyes. When you see him, take the envelope on your hands as he can take it. You will come alone on foot. You will not be seen if you have a companion."
I read carefully two or three times. I even can't understand a single word. I asked:
"Tell me what's the matter."  I don't see anything like that— "
" Didn't you see anything?"
"Of course, what you guessed yesterday has matched the letter, no doubt. There may be some bad intentions in trying to hide the man. But I don't see anything else in it."
“Oh you blind! Can't see the big thing?" Byomkesh suddenly stopped, stepping outside on the stairs. Byomkesh listened intently for a while and said- “Ashubabu.  There is no need to tell him all this.”
 He took the letter from my hand and put it in his pocket. When Ashubabu entered the room, I was absolutely stunned to see his face. It is difficult to imagine that human appearance could change so much in one day. His hair of the head is disheveled, his clothes are not neat, his cheeks got black, in the lap of his eyes got blacked, as if he suddenly shattered by a traumatic injury. I have never seen him so exhausted, even though he had just escaped from death yesterday. He sat down in a very tired chair and said:
“I have come to give you the news after receiving a bad news, Byomkeshbabu.  My lawyer Bilas Mallick has escaped... ”
 The Mystery continues on The thorn in the way (EP5)

No comments

Any doubts or anything missing? Please let us know

Powered by Blogger.